This Association shall be called as FILM ASSOCIATION OF BHUTAN (FAB)
registered with the Civil Society Organization Authority (CSOA) under the Civil
Society Organization Act of Bhutan, 2007 as a Mutual Benefit Organization
(MBO).The Bhutanese Film Industry has come a long way since the production
of its first feature film“GASA LAMAI SINGYE” produced by Ugetsu
Communication in 1988.
This was followed by“PHAMA” produced by Pel-vision in 1995.After a break of
three long years, the first ever full-length commercial feature film
“JIGDREL”produced by Norling Drayang in 1998, was an Ice-Breaker for
commercial feature film making culture in Bhutan and the self proclaimed
Bhutanese film Industry (yet to achieve industry status) took its first baby steps.
Thereafter, within a year, eight local feature films were produced.
The objectives of the Association shall be to, but not limited to the following:
- Liaise with relevant entities and donor agencies in developing the film industry.
- Participate in the national and international meetings, workshops, seminars, and mediainterviews and represent the interest of the Bhutanese film industry.
- Promote all the forms of film & music through trainings, production funds, festivals, awards, andother support systems in collaboration with other institutions.
- Promote all the filmmaking professions through trainings and studies in collaboration with otherinstitutions and encourage for better film & music production.
- Protect all the professions of the film industry through comprehensive rules and regulations.
- Assist in the implementation of the national film policy to foster the growth and development ofthe film industry as envisioned by the policy
- Advocate for better films policies and dynamic regulations.
- Work closely with the relevant agency and regulatory authorities to act as a nodal agencybetween the filmmakers and government agencies.
- Provide assistance to produce quality films of international standard reflecting the core values ofGross National Happiness (GNH)